Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Classical Conditioning

Way back in December of 2006, I submitted a short story to Crunchable, Words to Crunch By, entitled Crunchies. I wrote a blurb within that article on "Classical Conditioning". Okay, so don't go and read the article, lazy, I just recap what it is for you. It is: "with repeated association of the unconditional and the conditional stimulus, the conditional stimulus will cause a reflex of its own". Hmmmm, in other words, with repetitiveness comes habit or learning of what will happen next.

Case in point

Date: January 14, 2008; Time: 07:00 hours; Place: The Bathtub. I was studying two ferocious subjects submerged in the depths of a local watering hole splashing about like wild beasts. One subject would pound the water with its clinched fists while the other beast would drink the white, bubbly concoction floating atop and screaming "my making milk". Soon afterwards one of the animals stood up, I thought, "maybe he smelled me and my location had been compromised" but then I realized he just wanted to watch himself excrete into the water. He smiled with an evil grin. The other yelped a loud "Ewwwweee Jackson!" When I moved in closer for a better look, I was spotted. They didn't mind my presence, so I sat quietly upon a piece of porcelain and watched. It was horrendous. And even though I didn't sense a hostility in the brutes, I still sat quietly ... in fear.

Sorry, I started rambling again. Honestly, I don't know why you are reading this. Anyway, my point was; I was giving Angie (aka: the wife) a break and decided to give the kiddos their bedtime bath. We always have so much fun splashing about. Well, that's probably because Angie has to clean up the mess afterwards. So I give the boys lots of baths, not as many as the wife, but quite a few. When I do, its a routine (see where I am going with this?). I start the water, the tub begins to fill, Carter gets in with his clothes on, Jackson screams until he sits down in the warm water, etc. Bath time is wonderful until bath time turns into, well, actually taking a bath. Usually the entire process takes about 30 minutes. They play for 20 minutes, I clean them and wash their hair for 10 minutes. Here it comes ... so I sit and wait on the toilet until it is time for cleansing. When I stand up, push up my sleeves and take off my watch and my bracelet, Jackson stands up tall in the tub and starts to scream and Carter yells out that he's not ready to wash! How amazing is that? WOW! Just because I stand up and make a movement to my wrists so many reactions begin.

Sorry. That was a long story to prove my Classical Conditioning scenario.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why you wash them first, then let them play. Silly. :)

10:10 PM  
Blogger Wall Appeals said...

Hmmm. I think you might have something there.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home